Some number crunching and surprising facts that you should know.
For more information about the different STI’s and their (sometimes fatal) consequences, check out ‘Love & Sex’, ‘S.T.I. Info’!!!
- 1 in 10 people who have herpes know that they do. (a)
- The highest rate of STI’s in Canada belongs to 15-24 year-olds. (b)
- HPV, HIV, and Herpes are all incurable. That means if you get it, you have it for life. The symptoms can be treated but the disease can’t.
- 2/3 of grade 7 students and 1/2 of grade 9 students didn’t know HIV/AIDS has no cure. (c)
- The World Health Organization (WHO) says that unsafe sex is #2 of the top ten major health risks.(d)
- 14% of people using condoms for pregnancy prevention get pregnant in the first year. (e)
Some very relevant American statistics. (f)
- A girl is 4 times more likely to get an STI than get pregnant.
- The average pregnant teen girl has 2.3 STIs.
- In 24 hours, 12,000 teens will get an STI. 1/2 of all 16-24 year olds will be infected with an STI.
- In the 50’s, there were 5 known STIs. Today, there are more than 30!
- More women in U.S.A. died of cervical cancer as a result of HPV than AIDS.
(a) MSNBC “Little Progress in Stemming STD’s” by Jacqueline Stenson, Oct. 12, 2005
(b) Public Health Agency of Canada
(c) Public Health Agency of Canada – “Canadian Youth, Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Study”
(d) Canadian Federation for Sexual Health
(e) The Medical Institute for Sexual Health
(f) Pam Stenzel “No Screwin Around”