What about Adoption?
You may have questions about adoption if you are faced with an unplanned pregnancy. You might not be in a position to parent right now and are looking for options. At First Place OPTIONS, our peer counsellors will help explain the difference between “open” and “closed” adoptions. This allows you to explore what adoption looks like today, so that you can determine if it is the best plan for you and your child.
If you are considering this as an option, then your peer counsellor will be able to refer you to a Ministry licensed adoption agency. This agency provides free adoption related supports to birth parents. Meeting with an adoption agency does not mean that your decision to choose adoption is final. An adoption agency will be able to:
- Support you in examining your choices, to ensure you that you will be confident in your decision today and in the years to come.
- Help you in creating an adoption plan.
- Walk you through the entire adoption process with you and explain what is required by you, if you choose adoption.
- Assist you in looking at family case files to select a family that you think would be best for your baby.
- Provide support and assistance throughout the entire adoption process.
- Explain what happens if the birth parents change their minds after making an adoption plan or placing their child.
We at First Place Options recognize that it can be emotionally difficult for birth parents as they plan for an adoption. We offer support throughout the entire process, throughout the pregnancy and after the baby is placed with the adoptive family.
The decision to place a child for adoption can be made anytime during the pregnancy or even after the baby is born.
Contact First Place OPTIONS today to speak with a peer counsellor to understand your options.
All support is offered at no charge and is confidential.